[ RadSafe ] "mis-information from both TEPCO and the Japanese government immediately after the incident"

Busby, Chris C.Busby at ulster.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 06:32:37 CDT 2011

What concerned me was the statements of the IAEA. These were clearly biased. Ill tell you how. For a long time, IAEA were giving out that the maximum surface contamination was about 1MBq/square metre (I remember 0.9). The reason was, I believe, that the surface contamination could be compared to Chernobyl, and at the time they were saying it was nothing like Chernobnyl. But at the same time, there were lots of measurements that they referred to that gave gamma dose rates at 1m of between 10 and 80 microSieverts per hour at distances as far as 60km. Now it is clear to those of us who can do the sums, and who know, that these two values are incompatible by a large factor. And we assume that IAEA are not incompetent when it comes to converting gamma dose rates into surface contamination. So this is not a question of beer drinking reporters demanding too much from harassed TEPCO spokespersons. It is clear cover up of the seriousness of the situation. More recently TEPCO have admitted knowing that the surface contamination was high and have apologised for not telling those who were being contaminated who could have got out.
Sincerely
Chris