[ RadSafe ] efficiency rating for HEPA filter in rad hood

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Oct 21 10:56:05 CDT 2011

RADSAFErs,

There seems to be some big misunderstandings prevalent in this thread.

HEPA filter means "High Efficiency Particulate Air Filter"!  This clearly shows that they are intended for filtering particulate matter.
Further the chemical nature of "Iodine" is neglected. (I am a chemist.) For instance from a nuclear power plant there are several different iodine compounds emitted, the ratio depending on the type of of reactor. There is iodine as a negative ion, but there is also methyl iodide, ethyl iodide and molecular iodine, the latter ones gaseous and therefore by definition not collectable by a HEPA filter. In a fume hood the type of emission will depend most of all on the kind of work and which chemical form of iodine is used in. Volatility of iodine and its compounds is legendary, almost like tritium. Therefore it is not possible to give a number for "retention of iodine"!!!! You will have to specify the chemical form.  There are several methods for removing the volatile compounds from gas streams for analysis commercially available. Check suppliers.

Best regards,

Franz