[ RadSafe ] ISS radiation exposure

Jaro Franta jaro_10kbq at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 31 15:35:37 CDT 2011

I was trying to find this information earlier this year.

The SRAG site is a good start.

But after reading a bunch reports, I found that not only does the dose rate
change over the years -- between solar minimum and solar maximum -- but
apparently it also varies quite a bit between the different modules that
were supplied to the ISS by different countries, and also varies between
places where astronauts work (including outside ISS) and where they sleep.

This is a bit beside the point, but the goal of my search was to complete an
illustration of dose-versus-altitude, all the way from sea level to the ISS,
and to use it in a short article discussing the mis-use of LNT calculations
- for instance the global impact of the extra population dose due to
high-heel shoes (7cm higher altitude, in the example).
The article is based on an idea first proposed by our Polish colleagues, but
includes citations from Canadian and French radiation protection and
regulatory authorities, just to add some local interest.....

Large version of illustration: http://tinyurl.com/3gnkar7
Link to article on facebook, in French: http://tinyurl.com/3ekhzao

Good luck with your search -- and please keep us informed if you find
anything interesting.

 Jaro