[ RadSafe ] Po-210

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Sep 12 14:11:09 CDT 2011

Kjell,

Mike posted it already, but let me repeat: Neutron activation of Bi-209 to Bi-210, this will decay by beta emission to (5 days half life) to Po-210. A very straightforward approach, well established.

Please note that it is a decay product of Rn-222 (not 220).

Yes, the dating of sediments is usually done with this Pb-Po-method and it seems to be very accurate. Of course the amounts of Po-210 will be a little lower than the one used in Litvinenkos murder, which changes the analytical method considerably!

Best regards, - med vaenlig haelsning!

Franz