[ RadSafe ] Infinite Thickness of KCl

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Tue Sep 13 13:19:48 CDT 2011

Erik

You can simply invoke conservation of energy and divide by 2.  This is
theoretically true.  For compton scattering (off free electrons), the number
of electrons per gram of matter is largely similar for all matter except for
hydrogen ( for which it is twice as large).  With KCl and 1.46 Mev, you are
in a region where compton dominates.

In an infinite source, every cc has the same energy released, and also
absorbed.  If you convert from energy absorbed (rads) to energy absorbed in
air (R) (about a 10% correction at compton energies for most matter), one
can show that:

R/hr = V * Ebar, where V is the microcuries per gram, and Ebar is the
average energy per decay.  A very simple rule.

This is similar to an old rule used in medical physics for unit density
tissue, I have expanded it for any matter and density where compton
scattering is the dominant interaction.

For your case of K-40, you have 416 pCi/g and 0.105*1.46 = 0.1533 MeV Ebar,
so you have 64 uR/hr from a semi-infinite source.  The source area should be
>10X the detector area in surface when the detector is close to the surface
to satisfy semi-infinite conditions.   As for how thick does it have to be
to get semi-infinite dimensions, at compton energies, 3 mean free paths is
about 15 grams per square centimeter for any material (and especially for
low Z that does not have a lot of H), or about 7.5 centimeters at your
asserted density.

Just remember R/hr + V * E.  I will let my European friends give you the
equation in SI units.  It is too painful for me to state it that way.

Regards,

Joe Shonka

--
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify Shonka
Research Associates, Inc. at (770) 509-7606 and permanently delete the
original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.