[ RadSafe ] Cohen's radon results differently

Mon Sep 19 18:20:51 CDT 2011

Another confounder, I would expect, is the movement of people.  For
example, my in-laws moved to a retirement home near us, about two years
before my mother-in-law died (not of cancer).  Any statistics pegged to
the county in which she died would introduce error into any study other
than one about end-of-life care, as the conditions in this county have
nothing to do with here long term health.  I would estimate that well
over half of the people at this large retirement facility are from out
of the county, and not a few from out of the state.  This effect has to
be even greater for places like Florida.

The unlikely political bedfellows of Hilary Clinton and Newt Gingrich
have teamed up to support a national health records program (though
neither has spoken much about it recently).  The cost savings, both in
lives and in money, would be substantial, but I see even greater
possibilities in terms of being able to get MUCH better data for studies
such as this.  Imagine if instead of estimates of smoking prevalence you
could CONTROL for smoking habits of the case and control cohorts.

There are people who contend that such a system is too much of an
intrusion into privacy, and that the couple tens of thousands of people
who die each year due to incomplete or inaccessible medical records is a
fair price to pay.  While I don't think they are right, I think they
will probably win until the Facebook generation takes the lead.