[ RadSafe ] Ra-226 tubing?

gelsg at aol.com gelsg at aol.com
Sat Sep 24 00:47:27 CDT 2011

Rick:

You may have done this already, but if you haven't, I would strongly suggest that you do a test for removable alpha contamination before you do anything else.  Count the swipes immediately, then again 4 hours later.  If there is still alpha contamination on the swipe after 4 hours, you will probably need to secure the area and call your regional EPA center for help.  If there is no external removable contamination, I would still suggest handling it carefully and taking periodic swipes.

It does not sound like a lot of radium is involved (mCi rather than Ci), but it could still cause you a lot of headaches if it gets spread around.

If and when you find out what its original use was, please let us know.  Right now, I am leaning towards the naval wartime use rather than the veterinary use, although both are plausible.

Jerry Gels