[ RadSafe ] Ra-226 tubing?

Ed Johnson cejjr56 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 14:15:58 CDT 2011

Some clarification on the Ra-226 tubing:  The 0.5 cm diameter matches that
of my uncle's WWII souvenir deck cord, and I misstated the tubing material
composition in my previous post; it was a clear plastic, not rubber.  Also,
I recall that the deck cord's cavity was not completely filled with the
radium phosphor.  I believe the configuration was that only the interior
surface of the tubing was painted.

I agree with Jerry Gels concern about radon progeny contamination.  Given
the long half life of Ra-226 (1600 years), it will be continuously producing
Rn-222 (3.8 day half-life) and approaching secular equilibrium.  The deck
cords could by no means be considered "sealed" sources, and the Rn-222 could
easily leak out, as indicated by Kelly Grahn's post.  Therefore, whatever
confined space the item is stored in can become quite contaminated with
alpha- and beta/gamma-emitting progeny in transient equilibrium with the
Rn-222.

You might want to test if the item is still luminescent in the dark, though
the phospor might have chemically degraded.  If it is a deck cord, the
emitted visible light intensity would not be sufficient to be visible in
daylight conditions.

Your item is yet another example of the many applications of radium-226 that
were developed prior to the advent of fission reactors, when fission and
activation products were substituted for Ra-226.  Those applications ranged
from self-luminescence, to both real and supposed medical therapeutics, to
neutron sources, including initiators.  I remember fondly Paul Frame/ORAU's
Revigator (inhale deeply) and the radium-filled pillow "for a good night's
sleep."

Don't you just love a mystery.  Legacy items can be so much fun!

Ed Johnson