[ RadSafe ] Ra-226 tubing? Tubes may emit hazardoul levels of radon . dispose of them sooner rather than laterm

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 25 03:35:24 CDT 2011

Ed,

The damage to the chemical is not only due to chemical degradation but due to alpha particle irradiation. Radium-226 with all decay products together have several alpha emitters (Ra 226, Rn-222, Po 218, Po-214 and Po-210). Rn-222 emitted from a few hundred microcurie of Ra-226 can lead to totally unacceptable airborne levels of Rn-222 and decay products. We have demonstrated that leaky radium tubes and needles stored in small rooms with poor ventilation can be  sources of airborne decay products in radiotherapy departments.

The radium laced tube must be disposed of safely. I  am unable to accept that they can be preserved as mementos !

Regards
Parthasarathy