[ RadSafe ] More on San Onofre - Engineer's input needed

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 19:17:27 CDT 2012

Sandy,

    I was surprised to read your e-mail about the Steam Generators being
"relatively new".  I had initially assumed that they had merely replaced the old
tubing in the old generator with new tubes; I didn't know that they had
completely replaced the Steam Generators.  Given that these are "relatively new"
generators it is all the more disconcerting that some of the tubes are already
leaking.  Hopefully the root cause of the leak(s) will be determined and a
timely solution can be applied to get the units up and operating.

   We are in a quandary of sorts regarding electrical energy production!  Some
folks don't want coal fired electrical generating plants, some folks don't want
oil or gas fired electrical generating plants, some folks don't want Solar
thermal plants, some folks don't want windmills, and some folks don't want
Nuclear Power plants (hell, here in northern California some folks want to tear
down some old dams and do away with water reservoirs and the hydroelectric
energy produced by those systems).   Clearly there doesn't appear to be any
practical solutions that will please all of the parties.   What are we to do to
produce electricity for a (post) industrial society?  Solar voltaic, Fusion?  At
least Solar voltaic is a proven technology, but we can't possible produce enough
panels in a short enough time frame to replace the loss of San Onofre, much less
all of the other Nuclear Power plants.  What are we to do?
Roy Herren