[ RadSafe ] Coal fired replacement power -was: -RE: More on San Onofre - Engineer's input needed

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Mon Apr 9 01:18:20 CDT 2012

A very large fraction of the coal-fired electric generation of the Four
Corners, NM and San Juan, NM [gross nominal output of 2100 MWe] is
transported to various cities in CA. Until late 2010 SCE, operator of San
Onofre, owned 48% of the generation of Units 4 & 5 [ nominal output 1,500
MWe at the Four Corners, NM coal plant complex]. In early 2011, I think SCE
had to divest its formal interest in the Four Corners plants due to certain
regulations as to greenhouse gas emissions per MWe capacity imposed on SCE.

We can be quite sure that more of the coal-fired power output from the Four
Corners, NM  [about 700 miles from LA] will be directed to S. California if
San Onofre stays offline this summer. The local option for replacement power
for San Onofre is a now a shuttered 2 unit gas fired power plant [total
generation capacity 1,500 MWe] The pipelines bringing gas to this local gas
plant have been severed, and 3' holes cut in the boiler so bringing these
stations back on line will take a bit of work. But it could be done by
summer.

It is reassuring that the SG tubes are carefully inspected and can be easily
plugged at nuclear plants. However on the natural gas transport pipeline
side of things, there was the large PG&E [ 30 inch diameter installed in
1956] gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno, CA in Sept. 2010 that killed 8
and burned down a neighborhood. PG&E just entered into a $70 million
settlement with some of the survivors of this gas pipeline explosion a few
months ago.

It's unfortunate Federal regulatory agencies don't do a bit more to promote
interstate gas pipeline inspections, which would help to limit deaths from
pipeline explosions and fires. Apparently Federal regulatory resources are
directed primarily to seeking absolute "safety" in nuclear plant tubing and
operations,  and not such mundane items as ensuring enhanced safety with
large diameter gas pipelines, or oil drilling activities.

Nationwide, about 200 explosions, fires, and major natural gas pipeline
leaks occur each year in large gas transport pipelines.  While this may seem
high, it is down from about 1,400 accidents at major gas pipelines a few
decades ago.  I always get a chuckle when I hear a commercial for "clean,
safe, natural gas". Good luck to CA in firing up the gas power plant in the
area and to bringing in the gas it takes to power a 1,500 MWe gas power
plant.

Stewart Farber
203-441-8433