[ RadSafe ] Seattle / Puget Sound Earthquakes

Tue Apr 10 10:51:32 CDT 2012

As the contamination source for a airborne deposition scenario, I called
down a Tunguska-size strike on a Russian or Chinese reactor facility
(depending on how much lead time was desired).  Everyone agreed that
such a strike would be entirely adequate.  There was some doubt that in
the face of all the other effects that anyone would get spun up about
the rad, but I have confidence in certain demographics to look beyond
the big picture, and find their favorite hobbyhorse amidst the clutter.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Jerry Cohen
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 8:28 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Seattle / Puget Sound Earthquakes

Joe.
If you really need to worry about something, consider a 100 km. wide
meteor
impacting the Seattle area. Of course the probability for such an
occurrence is
remote, but its seriousness would be disasterous. The shock wave alone
could
kill millions of people, and more seriously, it could cause release of
radioactivity from nuclear facilities in the area. Sleep well ;-)
Jerry Cohen