[ RadSafe ] Funny cartoon from shortly after TMI - "He's grown a foot....."

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Sat Apr 14 00:35:27 CDT 2012

Hi Maury,
I missed the "glow" or aura around the mother and child with the extra foot.
Funny.

And who can forget the prayer by Matt Groening's Homer Simpson, the father,
and nuclear plant worker in "The Simpsons" show:

"And Lord, we are especially thankful for nuclear power, the cleanest,
safest energy source there is. Except for solar, which is just a pipe
dream." - Homer Simpson

Homer is probably right as to nuclear being the safest energy source. Hydro
power is to most anti-nukes the cleanest, greenest, safest form of power
generation. Hmmmm.

For those that may have forgotten [or never knew] in August 1975 in Southern
Henan province in China, the Banqiao Dam on the Ru River and Shimantan Dam
on the Hong River failed in one night in the greatest dam failures in
history. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banqiao_Dam

China has kept the horrific scope of the 1975 accident suppressed for many
years.

After a Typhoon had dumped more than a meter of rain in the area [exceeding
the 1,000 year storm] in a two day period, these 2 large power dams [one 116
meters high]  failed catastrophically and between 80,000 and 200,000 people
perished downstream in one night. 62 other smaller dams failed downriver.
Over 600 million cubic meters of water raced along down one river alone,
leaving 11,000,000 people displaced, without food and water,  and many
injured.

So when some opponent of nuclear energy says nuclear is too unsafe, they
need to be asked and should feel obligated to answer the question: "Compared
to what?"

Immediate Deaths from Power generation accidents:

TMI [1979]: 0
Fukushima [2011]: 0
Banquao Dam failure [1975]: At least 100,000 dead [in one night] - some
estimates up to 200,000

Stewart Farber