[ RadSafe ] Encounter with Caldicott and Gundersen on KGO Radio

Mark Ramsay mark.ramsay at ionactive.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 10:05:05 CDT 2012

Sky shine is a well known issue in open top radiography bays.

It's actually amazing what you measure on the 'safe' side of a shielding wall when a large activity Ir-192 source is placed on the unsafe side at or near ground level. Move away from the wall and higher and you will find it 'peaks' before falling back again (clearly this is influenced by many things).

If you think about it - consider light photons. Place a high powered torch facing downwards inside an open top radiography bay, 1m from the ground. Let the walls be say 3m high. Now black out the room containing the radiography bay. Switch the torch on and crouch very near the outer shielding wall at near ground level. What do you see - very little (might not even see your hands if you have made the room dark enough).

Now stand up and move away - what do you see. Not direct light (of course) but you might just be able to make out your hands ....

Rgs

Mark