[ RadSafe ] Encounter with Dr Helen Caldicott and Arnie Gundersen on KGO Radio

Doug Aitken JAitken at slb.com
Mon Apr 16 07:15:44 CDT 2012

Roger:
Skyshine does exist. A good paper on this:
http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/erhs/Health%20Physics/D_Elder_Thesis.pdf

As for Gamma ray "reflection", it also exists. We take care with our collomated (Cs 137 - 662 keV) GR sources (used for downhole density measurements in oil wells) that when manipulating them on surface they are not pointed towards the drill pipe that is stacked in the rig, as this will appreciably increase the dose to our operators due to back-scatter. But the reflection from the atmosphere at this energy level is not appreciable: it requires a dense material (or much higher photon energy levels, as in an accelerator) for the back-scattering to be appreciable.

I guess the statements of Gunderson have to be put in the realm of "distorting the facts".....

Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken
QHSE Advisor, Schlumberger D&M Operations Support
Cell Phone: 713-562-8585
(alternate e-mail: doug.aitken at slb.com )
Mail: c/o Therese Wigzell,
Schlumberger,