[ RadSafe ] A California disaster waiting to happen

Mon Aug 6 13:40:57 CDT 2012

Depending on the type of energy system and the location, even though
they produce relatively small amounts they can have a number of other
advantages.

For example, the Costco near my place has goodly-sized skylights, and a
system that turns on and off the lights so about the same amount of
light is hitting the shopping area.  Most of the summer the lights are
off most of the day.  I don't know how much money that saves, but I'll
bet it is big enough that I'd be happy to have it.

If I ran a business in a flat-roofed building in the southern tier of
state, I would have a solar energy system on the roof.  It could be
engineered to improve cooling of the building, supplement normal
operations, and allow for at least minimal operations when the grid is
down (as happened for a lot of the East this year).

If I ran a server farm I would be looking at a way of using the huge
amount of waste heat to produce electricity or do something useful (I
would look into Sterling Engines, but that is just me).  It wouldn't run
the farm, but it would decrease the load, and possibly improve the
cooling system.

If I ran any type of business that isn't open 24/7, I would turn the
lights, including the outdoor signs, off when we were closed.  I'd put
the money saved into a pool to pay employees, vendors, and customers for
ideas that saved or made us money by improving efficiency and decreasing
waste.

Decentralized power production, near its end-users, even if it is not
24/7 and not all-weather, has a National Security advantage that exceeds
many of the thing that have been done in the name of NS.  On the other
hand, big, centralized production facilities set in remote locations are
such a bad choice that it is hard to believe they are that bad by
accident.