[ RadSafe ] Query on radium ball

Wed Aug 22 11:06:06 CDT 2012

I think the most telling claim is: "5. The gas the radium shoots is good for exciting the intestines departments and can cure constipation well"

My mind is awhirl with the comedic possibilities of this line in connection with this product.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of parthasarathy k s
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:38 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection( Health Physics) Mailing List
Cc: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Query on radium ball

Radsafers,

I was  under the impression that use of radium has been stopped completely. I received a query regarding the safety of a product, made in China. The company is cashing on benefits perceived by the user.

Details about the radium ball is available at the following URL:

http://www.root-cn.com/Radium-Bath-Ball.html

It appears that the ball contains radium containing mineral at specific activity of 490Bq/kg.

Can any one conversant with this product advise me on the "health physics" of it?

Regards
Parthasarathy