[ RadSafe ] Radon solubility in fat: Re: Query on radium ball

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Wed Aug 22 12:51:17 CDT 2012

Hi all,
A correction to one point in the  post below. Actually radon is highly fat
soluble vs. the thought expressed below:

See:
http://enhs.umn.edu/hazards/hazardssite/radon/radondistrib.html

"Since radon is highly fat soluble and actively transported through the
body on the coattails of lymphocytes, common organs of destinations are
the liver (5%), kidney (1.6%), lungs (90% - primarily for elimination),
and other adipose tissue stores. Once the dissolved gas decays and becomes
charged, it can bind and decay further within various body tissues, and
emit harmful, mutagenic and cytotoxic, alpha particles."

Stewart Farber

--
Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Farber Medical Solutions, LLC