[ RadSafe ] More Cloning, Shroud, Etc.

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Dec 28 00:17:23 CST 2012

Dec. 27, 2012

         The authenticity of the Shroud of Turin
will probably never be proven.  Regardless of its
authenticity, Jesus was a real historical
character.  He is mentioned in the writings of
Josephus, and almost all historians consider the
"Jesus passage" in Josephus to be authentic.

         We have no first hand evidence that
Homer (for example) ever lived.  According to
Wikipedia "when he lived is unknown," and "there
is no reliable biographical information handed
down from classical antiquity."  However most
classicists accept his authorship of the Iliad
and the Odyssey.  The historicity of Jesus of
Nazareth is far better established than that of Homer.

         Your message, Franz, does not specify
which C-14 measurements are doubted by
creationists.  Assuming that you mean the C-14
measurements of the Shroud, based upon what I
know about the creationist views on C-14, I
believe it is safe to say creationists would
accept the C-14 measurements of the Shroud of
Turin.  Creationists have legitimate reasons for
questioning some C-14 dates, however these dates
are ones which are closer to the time of the
Genesis flood.  I am not well enough versed in
current creationist views of C-14 dating to comment further on them.

         Your claim that creation science "does
not play any role in Europe or anywhere else" is
not true.  Active creation science groups can be
found worldwide.  The fact that the papacy has
acknowledged the concept of evolution does
nothing to prove or disprove evolution.  Permit
me to point out that the papacy acknowledges the historicity of Jesus.

Steven Dapra