[ RadSafe ] The "Double Edged Sword" - is there more to the story?

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Fri Dec 28 11:36:51 CST 2012

Xrayted/Radsafe:

     What was the nature of the exposure  accidents????  How much estimated
dose equivalent
delivered in how much time???

     Did the Labs involved settle legally with the  individuals involved???
 Did the exposees deliberately
bypass safety interlocks etc.???

     Can we have their names???  Maybe some of us  have run into them in
real life???

     I know one guy from BNL who developed cancer ---  he routinely used a
5 Curie AmBe and/or PuBe
neutron source.  They kept the source in a 55 gallon drum of
parafin/wax/plastic or whatever.
After the guy developed cancer, the calibration area was redesigned to
place the technicians'
office area further away from the sources.  Don't know if a legal
settlement was involved.
I generally used a 0.5 Curie AmBe neutron source in Calibrations.

    Another interesting radiation exposure incident involved  a fellow
named Slotin, who was conducting
a criticality experiment.  At the time of exposure, Slotin was pretty  much
right near the source.
Other fellows were at various places in the room during the exposure
incident.  I'm told Cerenkov
(a blue flash???) was produced during the exposure.  I'm sure this  event
is described elsewhere more
formally.  Slotin died a pretty miserable death.  Some of the  other guys
died a while after, but this is all
long ago now.

    Let's be careful out there...

    Joe Preisig

In a message dated 12/28/2012 11:08:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,