[ RadSafe ] Tritium Production

ROMANOWICH Larry(L) - BRUCE POWER larry.romanowich at brucepower.com
Thu Feb 2 12:19:44 CST 2012

With respect to 6 Mci annual production (I assume that 6,000,000 Ci),
CANDUs are notorious for production of tritium.  The moderator water is
heavy water which becomes activated in core to become really heavy
water, i.e. tritium.  The tritium activity can reach 30 Ci/kg of water
and there is over 300,000 kg of moderator water in each unit.  The PHT
water is also heavy water and is similar in volume with lower activity
levels around 5 Ci/kg.  Put 4 units on a single site and that is a lot
of tritium in one place.  Not sure as to the veracity of the 6 Mci
annual atmospheric production rate, but you can do the math for CANDU
production rate for comparison.

Larry Romanowich

Message: 2