[ RadSafe ] I-131 from Russia?

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Feb 7 11:39:21 CST 2012

Dear Mattias,

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I am not anymore in charge of the Austrian Environmental Radiation Surveillance System, but I remember the times when we found elevations not only of I-131 but also other fission products in aerosols. In most instances we could trace them to hospitals, which obviously burned contaminated waste, but in other ones we could - with the help of our finnish collegues from STUK- trace them to underground nucob ab lear explosion (long time ago!) in then USSR.
In any case the concentrations were many orders of magnitude below any levels of concern.

Your observation confirms the sensitivity and reliability of the environmental surveillance systems for radioactivity in Europe.

I guess that you might collect data from other European states and probably could communicate them to Radsafe (or to me). Reports in other languages (Swedish, Finnish) are welcome.

Best wishes och vänlig hälsning fran Wien, där äntligen snön har kommit!

Franz