[ RadSafe ] Biogeochemistry

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:51:15 CST 2012

Dear Jerry:

I worked on the peer review of the YM Site Characterization Report years
ago.  I was disappointed that there was not more information
on comparative 'natural' risk including that of pre-existing uranium
features or areas in the flow path of the YM computer models that did not
address published high favorability for surficial uranium deposits
(non-pedogenic calcrete type). In fact, there was no mention of these
features in the Site Characterization report nor geochemical traps that
would interact with the solute flow in the far-field.

There are potential models of concentration / anthropogene remobilization
(e.g. via high volume irrigation) that were not considered.

I published on one such model (indirectly) looking at induced anthropogene
remobilization of uranium / radium via high-volume wells in proximity to
from regional redox-controlled roll-fronts in the Alamosa Basin. This paper
can be found in an IAEA proceedings:

McCarn, Dan W. (2004): Scoping Calculations: Natural and anthropogenic
multi-pathway risks associated with naturally occurring uranium
mineralization in aquifers;
*IAEA-TECDOC-1396<http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf>
*, pp.289-315.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1396_web.pdf

I am currently preparing to obtain additional data from the project area to
support the project and additional risk calculations.  I will be doing a
gamma survey (250-500 line kilometres) across the surface expression of the
regional redox front to determine the amount of radium deposited
in agricultural soils.  The survey will inform a soil / water sampling
program and perhaps samples of crops.  Since the area has been actively
irrigated for over 100 years from groundwater, I feel there is a strong
likelihood of significant build-up of radium and perhaps other redox
sensitive elements (Se, As ,Mo etc.)  Whereas radium is not 'redox
sensitive', it is incorporated in both uraninite (UO2) and coffinite (U(SiO4
)0.9(OH)0.4), the most likely uranium minerals present.  Uranium itself
will likely not concentrate in the soil zone because of the highly
oxidizing conditions of desert soils. I have data from an analogy of the
San Luis Valley in Kazakhstan, where I have detailed trenching data in
similar soils.  The uranium tends to be easily mobilized vertically whereas
the radium and progeny tends to remain in the upper soil zone.

Since this work is being funded from my own back pocket, it will probably
go a bit slower than a commercial operation! But I'm starting to test my
data collection systems and will be employing my horse for the gamma
survey.  He only charges me hay & oats!

Dan ii