[ RadSafe ] San Clemente panel urges radiation monitoring in new city blueprint

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Feb 20 21:30:28 CST 2012

I'd worry about the competency of those handling the equipment and the data.

I built a perimeter neutron and gamma monitoring system ay LBNL - the
units were housed in sheds built for previous versions that were much
larger and delicate.  The ones I had designed were smaller, used little
power, and were built to stand SOME environmental insult.  Since the
only thing they really needed was a little power and a communication
line they could be easily adapted to this purpose - just seal them in an
insulated box with Peltier heating/cooling and a heat reflective shield
- ie. a foil coated electric picnic cooler!!  and mount them atop
power/phone poles - would work VERY well.

HOWEVER - the instrumentation and its limitations still need to be
understood.  No matter HOW environmental proof you make it and how well
you protect it you will still have episodes of spurious counts and you
have to be able to analyze and/or recognize these - this is just the
nature of active monitors.  I would of course also include passive monitors.

Of course to the antis - every count burst is a dire nuclear event and
every rational and logical attempt to discard spurious data is a
cover-up -- and THIS I think will be the largest problem.

That being said - its the kind of project I think I'd enjoy doing  -
with good management support/protection of course!