[ RadSafe ] Don't swim in the Pacific

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:25:57 CST 2012

Mike

Actually, it's not a challenge.  They get it that I am just using OJ
as an example of something in our diets that has especially high
concentrations of potassium, and that it is nearly ubiquitous in
foodstuffs.  Also, it might be useful to bear in mind that the
homeostasis of serum potassium is to keep it within (in an example
from one clinical lab) the range of 3.5 - 5.5 mmol/L.  It is a fairly
dynamic value, I think, depending on what one has recently eaten,
one's state of hydration.

A possibly interesting anecdote is that, when I was at a very large
university medical center, in the early eighties, and we had lots of
people doing bench research with homemade iodinated proteins (as
opposed to using RIA kits), we were certain that, when on thyroid
bioassay, we found someone whose body-background was noticeably higher
than the run-of-the-mill, it developed that he/she was a vegetarian.
We never had the time to look at it systematically, or even
semi-quantitatively, but we felt that it was a very reliable
phenomenon.

Cheers
cja