[ RadSafe ] Radiation Bio-Assay - Are or Should Methodsbe FDA Approved?

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Wed Feb 29 16:03:03 CST 2012

John et al. --

Perhaps a better way to phrase this is, does a laboratory that analyzes bioassay samples have to be CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments) certified? If memory serves, this very issue was discussed at length at one of the recent CDC roundtable meetings.

The language on FDA webpages (http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/IVDRegulatoryAssistance/ucm124105.htm, for example) seems to indicate that such laboratories should be certified ... "A laboratory is any facility that does laboratory testing on specimens derived from humans to give information for the diagnosis, prevention, treatment of disease, or impairment of, or assessment of health."

I'm not entirely certain ... even after our earlier lengthy discussion.

Jim Hardeman

>>> "Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH)" <gyf7 at cdc.gov> 2/29/2012 09:56 >>>
All,

If ascertaining an occupational dose to a person, the cognizant authority (for an employee) would be the employer (NRC, DOE, utility, hospital, etc.). Assignment of dose should be done by a competent authority. A dose determination using bio-assay samples for humans cannot be equated to regulation of a drug. Bio-assay samples are not drugs. I do not believe that the FDA has purview over what is being discussed here (i. e. the specific test to determine the radionuclide intake).

If a course of treatment is chosen, and if that treatment involves using an FDA approved compound, then the use of such a compound should (not must) be approved by the FDA. There are many courses of treatment which have been proven effective (but not necessarily for human use) and these compounds have yet to be FDA approved.

Given what could occur during a response to a radiological incident, decorporation using a safe compound is best left to the attending physician.

Regards,

John E. Dixon