[ RadSafe ] Shielding of DEVICES

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Fri Jan 6 18:26:07 CST 2012

Dan --

No, I was the rad guy who, along with his staff, had the unfortunate
responsibility of performing radiation measurements on the "box of
rocks". To make a long story short, an LE officer at "a major
international airport", who happened to be carrying a "rad pager" was in
a cargo warehouse and his pager alarmed. The officer determined that a
foot locker, part of an international shipment, was the source of the
radiation.The radiation measurements that were relayed to us were
"somewhat exaggerated" (if you consider 3 or so orders of magnitude to
be "slightly") <grin>, making the response a little more urgent than was
actually warranted. We were requested by "law enforcement authorities"
to perform radiation measurements on the box, determine (if possible)
what it was and report our findings to them. Due to the breathless
urgency in which this request was made, we pointed SEVERAL spectrometers
(NaI, LaBr3 and HpGe) at the offending item, and found only elevated
levels of natural uranium, thorium and their decay products.

My understanding is that after we reported our findings to law
enforcement authorities, they went out to "talk to" the unfortunate
businessman (not even a geologist) who had, unknowingly, shipped a box
of radioactive rocks to himself. I would have loved to be a fly on the
wall during that "conversation".

Sorry to be so vague in my description, but I don't want any of those
same law enforcement authorities knocking on my door ...

Jim Hardeman

>>> Dan McCarn <hotgreenchile at gmail.com> 1/6/2012 17:09 >>>
Dear Jim:

Were you on the receiving end... or the giving end of the inspection...
So
you are that poor, witless geologist?

There have been times when I have been very surprised that my baggage
was
not inspected (before 2001).  Since then, they always seem
ultra-curious
about my Ludlum Model 19 and not the rocks...

Dan ii