[ RadSafe ] Japanese Scientist Claims to Have Developed Powder thatCan Clean Fukushima Daiichi Radioactive Water Faster Than Areva - JapanReal Time - WSJ

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Jan 31 16:25:30 CST 2012

Roger,

There are many methods known to remove radionuclides from water, these being in many cases (or almost all) well established and well investigated and very successful. I even have worked in the framework of a European Union project on removal of NORM from drinking water - there is not much difference to artificial radionuclides and being a radiochemist, having been heavily involved (unfortunately!) in the aftermath of the Chernobyl accident I dare to have an opinion on such beeathtaking news. Furthermore I am a radiochemist......

Looking at the link I cannot see any description of the method - obviously deliberately obscured, not at all because of patent reasons. If somebody wants to have his "research" acknowledged, he has to give information about it and not to hide it. From the colour of the precipitates it seems to be a kind of clay. Zeolithes are very well known to adsorb Caesium. In the debris from a nuclear accident, there are a large number of radionuclides present, not only Cs-137! So what? The claim of tons of water to be purified within an hour has to be questioned seriously - what throughput would this require?

Hexacyanoferrates have been proved to be the most effective scavengers of Cesium,  the pictures definitely do not show precipitation of those.

Be careful with such universal remedies - they usually do not work!

Best regards,

Franz