[ RadSafe ] Victoreen 450

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 11:22:21 CDT 2012

Folks

Those batteries are the power source for the meter's electronics (unless I
misremember badly).  I think that there is an additional space in the
handle for the batteries for the little lamp.  The chamber bias voltage
batteries (5 x 10 V, probably silver oxide) are soldered to a board inside
the meter, so you would have to open the case, by removing the screws, to
get a look at them.

Fluke does not release most of the schematics for its instruments.  Their
reasoning is that it discourages people from trying to obtain service other
than by the factory.  I guess that they have seen some pretty ugly
soldering, etc., over the years, or had instruments returned to them
malfunctioning because someone had misunderstood a schematic.  Whatever one
might think about that policy, while they are supporting an instrument,
once they d/c support, by obsoleting an instrument, it makes maintenance
very hard for owners.  By contrast, Ludlum does not have either of these
policies (lack of support for alternate service centers and obsoleting
instruments).  You might try calling the Global Calibration Lab, and asking
them for schematics; all they can say is "sorry, but we cannot do it".  Jim
Sipos is a great guy in tech support there.

It is really too bad about the end of the Model 450.  It was the best
ion-chambered instrument i ever used for beta dose rates, and low-E photon
exposure rates, especially in relatively confined areas (e.g., laboratory
benchs).

Cheers
cja