[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's radioactive trees and the forest fire risk - Tower Shielding Facility at ORNL

K. L. McMahan kb60127 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 20:10:37 CDT 2012

The reactor you describe was almost surely the Tower Shielding Facility at
Oak Ridge National Laboratory. A good summary description complete with
photos and drawings of this impressive bit of history can be found at this
link:
http://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/Files/Pub20808.pdf

Others will have to speak of the effect of the hoisted, operating reactor on
pine trees (or perhaps oak trees, since this is, after all, Oak Ridge). I
can only say trees grow pretty well around there now.

Kim McMahan, CHP
Oak Ridge, TN