[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl's radioactive trees and the forest fire risk - Towe...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 18:53:17 CDT 2012

Dear Radsafe:

     All these stories of reactors coming up out of  their (more???)
shielded areas and being used
to irradiate trees are all quite interesting..  Were the reactors  giving
off more than 10 mrem per hour
close in???  Sounds like the good old days of health physics --- back  in
the day.

     In those days there were at least 2 Charlie's  running around BNL
Health Physics.
One was fairly thin (a fan of Elvis???) and an early on member of the
Health Physics Society.
I learned a fair amount of Health Physics from him and his  technicians.

     The other Charlie was heavier (in mass) and I  believe was once
president of the Health Physics
Society.  Many of you probably remember him.

      Back in the day, the one technician/HP used  to kid that if you
weren't getting 5 rad/rem a day,
you weren't doing the job right.  Thank goodness for the teletector
detector.  I'm sure the annual
administrative Level now at BNL is still somewhere in the vicinity of 1250
mrem per year.  Yeah, I'm
still stuck on those old rad units.

      Funny, the USA fairly recently had a  president who couldn't
pronounce nuclear correctly.
It always came out Nucular???!!!!  Maybe he had a learning  disability???
The guy was somewhat educated
at Yale.  His Dad was a president also --- a CIA kind of guy with oil
industry involvement.
All very interesting.

MWD is Measurement While Drilling.
During the elected-time of the first guy, the USA economy suffered and many
 100 year old
businesses (including some well-known national chain stores) closed.   Now
this gentleman, or one of
his Rep_____can cronies also had trouble with the term MWD  --- a
Schlumberger term for
doing downhole measurements while actually drilling an oil well (a
Schlumberger photomultiplier tube
is by its design able to work well at high temperatures and pressures, with
 some vibration!!!).
He thought MWD was WMD, the not-so-popular Weapons of Mass  Destruction.
Oh my, what
confusion.  I used to be a Rep____can but have since dropped out of  the
Middle Class????

      MWD is not WMD!!!!  And from what I am  hearing lately, there never
were any WMD's in the
country the USA invaded.???!!!!  NOT GOOD!!!   Or as another  Health
Physics President I know/knew ---
BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!  (He's famous for being from Hector,  Minnesota).   He
likes Ted Nugent...

     Anyway, have a good week,

     Regards,   Joe Preisig

In a message dated 7/9/2012 9:55:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,