[ RadSafe ] Texsport Item #14210 - Lantern Mantles

Wed Jul 11 10:02:39 CDT 2012

My take, only somewhat flip, is that you can't trust a Chinese product
contains what it is supposed to and only what it is supposed to, even if
what it is supposed to contain is something that would freak out many

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Chris Alston
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:38 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Texsport Item #14210 - Lantern Mantles

The packets of these mantles, the which are Made in China, give as the
primary ingredients nitrates and hydroxides of Th.  Another ingredient,
what it is worth, is cerium.  They are also labelled with all sorts of
cautionary messages in re proper handling, including warnings that they
emit radioactive materials, and that California knows them to be
carcinogenic.  I see no significant readings, i.e., there may be a
excursion above background with a pancake GM at contact, but certainly
the check-source-worthy output one would expect.  Does anyone have a
on this?  It has occurred to me that the packet may be intended for use
with mantles from one supplier, but was filled in the factory with
of the same spec from a different supplier.

TIA and

visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu