[ RadSafe ] Fluoroscopy exposure question

Bair, William (CONTR) BAIRWJ at nv.doe.gov
Thu Jul 26 11:32:52 CDT 2012

I know of a patient who tried the radiofrequency neurotomy.  It was not too effective for her, but is reported to be a viable alternative to surgery for some patients, particularly those who are poor candidates for the rigors associated with spinal surgery.  I don't know the doses involved but I would ask if the fluoroscope is used during the entire procedure or just during evolutions requiring positioning of the probe, i.e. how long is it used. I guess I would suggest that an elderly (in particular) patient give it a shot if it might mean they could avoid surgery, especially lower back.  That's a tough procedure for anyone.

Bill Bair, Sr. Scientist
Radiological Engineering
NSTec, LLC
Contractor to the US Department of Energy
(702)295-4463 (W)
(702)630-0631 (C)
(702)295-9335 (fax)