[ RadSafe ] Fluoroscopy exposure question

Howard Long howard.long at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 14:03:10 CDT 2012

Susan,
Ask your mother to ask her doctor
(as he/ahe likely does with shoulder bursitis) to
palpate (poke) deeply for tender spots, especially every 3 cm of the sacroiliac ligaments
and sciatic notches.
Hundreds of my patients have had pain go from 8-10 to 0 in 20 minutes,
never to recur at that place or where pain was referred (like sciatic nerve distribtion),
after infiltration of every 3 mm of the tender areas to 2" deep.
Warning: it is abnormally painful when the needle touches the calcific grating of
inflammation, the wince (seen in the mirror when patient is standing with elbows
on the examining table) guides the physician to where the anesthetic is needed.
3 cc lidocaine 2% plain with dexamethasone 6-12 mg is infiltrated throughout
usually taking half an hour with exam and treatment and costing $100-$200
(Obamacare and insurance czars don't approve this cure because it bypasses
the dependency bureaucracy that takes most "health care" costs).
I give doxepin 50mg antihistamine and naproxen 500mg antiinflammatory and
put the patient to bed for a day with a hot pack on the site to speed the dissipation of the inflammation.

Radiation alternative I saw given in 1949 by a rural doctor who had given the first ECG at UCSF, was a high dose (10 x usual shoulder diagnostic dose?) from a diagnostic
x ray machine to a workman's very tender shoulder.
He said others had been greatly improved.
Jerry Cuttler, who will be speaking to our DDP meeting in NYC Saturday
( ddponline.org ) has much on low dose radiation treatment.

Howard Long, family doctor and epidemiologist