[ RadSafe ] Another recent article

Thu Jun 7 12:06:01 CDT 2012

I like LN2 as a portable energy storage system WAY more than hydrogen, which is difficult to deal with and dangerous if things go wrong.

I am not ready to sink my family fortune (such as it is) into LN2, but I like that there is nothing particularly difficult in the application.  I also like that the waste product is cold, not heat, which has potential uses.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Neil, David M
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:57 AM
To: radsafe at agni.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Another recent article

Stipulating that LN2 is an energy storage, not an energy producer, if you can get a similar miles-per-gallon energy yield that might be worth consideration.

I don't have a current figure for LN2 cost per gallon, but I recall it being likened to a gallon of milk - which would put it less than or at par to gasoline. Increased volume would possibly reduce this further, and the primary energy could come from any source. This would allow localized production facilities near the consumer, instead of concentrated ones near the production.

Interesting concept.

Dave Neil
DOE-ID Lessons Learned Coordinator

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  - George Santayana