[ RadSafe ] Natural gamma rays linked to childhood leukaemia

radbloom at comcast.net radbloom at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 11:02:25 CDT 2012

John,

I agree that it would be very interesting to see the data.  Although the number of cases (10s of thousands from the cancer registry plus controls) sounds interesting, the lack of mention of confounders is disheartening.  I also think it would have been interesting to see the radiation exposure levels attributed to the "exposed" and the controls.  I would also like to see whether there were any investigations of whether the children's exposures occurred in single localities or whether there were multiple locations that were assigned during the considered exposure periods.  On the surface, I feel there would be so many confounders that any risk association would be tentative at best, and might not at all be linked to causation.

The article states, " 'We have estimated that about 15% of the 500 or so cases of childhood leukaemia which occur annually in the UK are due to natural background radiation."  Seems like they are saying that if there were no natural radiation exposure, childhood leukemia incidence would be reduced by 15% in the UK.  I am unconvinced.  Looking forward to seeing more data.

Cindy