[ RadSafe ] Modeling Atmospheric Transport and Dispersion

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:03:59 CST 2012

Hi Ahmad:

There are Gauss Plume / Puff models available...

*CALPUFF* Is a non-steady state Gaussian *puff* model, suitable for long
range transport, atmospheric chemistry...
*PUFF*-*PLUME* - A *Gaussian* chemical/radionuclide dispersion model

Which leads me to the overwhelming question - to borrow a line from T.S.
Elliot:

I have a project in which there are 6-8,000 release points which are 200m
radius central pivot spray irrigation systems.  The area is quite flat with
only 30-50 meters of relief over 10s of kilometers. Given a 'Q' for each
release point and known atmospheric conditions, I'd like to calculate the
average dose of radon & daughters being released.  The total release in a
season is about 3-5 KCi of radon activity in an area about 3,000 km^2.  The
release is fairly uniform throughout the irrigated area.  Several
communities are present in the 'middle' of the irrigated area. Wind rose is
well characterized and the vertical temperature change is uniform.  There
are seldom, if any, temperature inversions.  The typical radon
concentrations in the irrigation water are 1,500 -10,000 pCi/L. Outliers
may exceed 1 million pCi/L in the vicinity of a uranium feature.

Are their any 'magic bullets' already developed to handle this kind of
problem?

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd