[ RadSafe ] How Would You Advise this YouTube User and WhatReferences would you provide?

Thu Mar 8 12:24:58 CST 2012

I would tell him to go, and to not worry.  He won't be allowed into any
area where there are radiation levels that are dangerous by any rational
definition.  I find it hard to believe he will have access to food with
radioisotope levels noticeably above what he might eat elsewhere, and
even if he is, he won't be eating it for a 50 year period, which is what
is assumed in a lot of the risk models.  If he could measure his
exposure, I am pretty sure he will get more external exposure on both
the flight over and the flight back than he will receive while there.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Roger Helbig
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:05 AM
To: RADSAFE
Subject: [ RadSafe ] How Would You Advise this YouTube User and
WhatReferences would you provide?

I got this message in my YouTube account and I have replied to it
telling
him to take the trip, but I also would like to know how members of this
list would reply, especially if we have any Japanese members, and what
references that you would provide.

Thanks

Roger Helbig

I noticed you've been posting on videos regarding Fukushima, and I
thought
I might ask you about this...
I've been planning my trip to Japan for past half year, and I'm actually
going there in two weeks.
I really wanted to go, but now after reading a lot about radiation and
contamination in the food, I even considered returning my ticket.
Some websites, like safecast.org and a facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/Tokyo.Radiation.Levels both seem to be saying
that
there is no concern about radiation in Tokyo, but there might be some
concern about the food.
However, another source http://fukushima-diary.com/ is telling me not to
go
right now.