[ RadSafe ] Use of media by HPS (was: The Dangerous Myths of Fukushima)

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Mon Mar 12 12:33:35 CDT 2012

Roger Helbig writes:

"HPS needs to use the modern media and use it extensively or the Occupy
folks will shut down nuclear power."
**********

I don't think HPS can do much more that it already is doing with regard to
the media. Unless you own a network, it is pretty much impossible to get a
message out that does not conform to the media's prevailing world view. To
meet the media's acceptance requirements, HPS would have to package
reliable scientific information into catchy sound-bites, sensational
statistics and flashy graphics (a few cable babes to do the presenting
would really help also), and that is just not possible without distorting
the information beyond all usefulness.

I am a little puzzled by the second part of Roger's remark, though. I
hadn't heard that there was an Occupy Indian Point rally proposed.

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A