[ RadSafe ] Fukushima, Tsunamis, Quakes, Pigs Flying...

Karen Street Karen_Street at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 17:54:53 CDT 2012

As I understand it, the Japanese approach is to look at the historical record, up to a point; obviously they were ignoring once in a millennium earthquakes. The American approach is to figure out what maximum ground motion is possible in the area.

I assume that NRC has figured out what kind of tsunami West Coast reactors could see, and that it is re-evaluating these assumptions. When the VA earthquake hit, NRC was well into a project to reconsider if areas like VA could see more earth movement than had been assumed. (The answer is yes.)

--
Best wishes,
Karen Street