[ RadSafe ] Fukushima, Tsunamis, Quakes, Pigs Flying...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 18:19:54 CDT 2012

Dear Karen,

      Virginia earthquake was quite small, but it  did wake up people in
the Washington DC area,
politically speaking.

      My concern for an internal continent  earthquake for the USA would be
another magnitude
8.0 event that happened in New Madrid, Missouri around 1812 (2 such events
happened then).
Assuming a recurrence time of 300 years (based on fault trenching and/or
paleoseismology
studies in Missouri). such an event might realistically happen by 2112 or
so.  That part of the USA,
the east coast, the midwest (Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Houston,
 Dallas, etc.)
would ring like a very resonant bell and the ground motion would be felt
all over that part of the USA.
Cruddy masonry structured buildings built on loose ground would fail
miserably, killing many
people.  Earthen dams would probably fail.  I'm not sure I want  to be
around for such an event.
Another California large event will happen fairly soon??? also.  See
Journal of Geophysical
Research, Geophysical Journal International and/or Bulletin of the
Seismological Society of
America for relevant technical papers.

      Your comments are appreciated.

      Regards,   Joseph R. (Joe)  Preisig, PhD

In a message dated 3/19/2012 6:56:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,