[ RadSafe ] Radioactive medicine being tracked through rivers

John Ahlquist john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 27 02:02:40 CDT 2012

Actually it goes even further back.  When I was on loan to the Radiological
Analysis Branch of AEC Regulatory in 1973-4, this was an issue for licensing the
Palo Verdes nuclear plant.  Their cooling water comes from municipal sewage
treatment plants.  Excreted I-131 in the evaporating  effluent cooling water was
a critical airborne pathway.  I don't recall the details but that source was of
in the order of magnitude or larger than what the plant would emit.

In the late 70s or early 80s, Frazier Bronson had a technique to measure such
releases down to a few atoms and could see it in many places.

John Ahlquist