[ RadSafe ] Radioactive medicine being tracked through rivers

Ed Johnson cejjr56 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 10:29:24 CDT 2012

"Dilute and disperse" has been the governing policy for a long time and, in
the case of medical isotope discharges, is a reasonable approach due to the
relatively short half-life of most radionuclides used for diagnostic and
therapeutic services.  This policy has, of course, also been applied to
non-medical licensees, and the environmental consequences for discharging
longer-lived nuclides is a trickier situation due to the dynamics of
sedimentary adsorption, uptake by aquatic flora and fauna, bioaccumulation,
biomagnification, etc.

The exemption for excreta in the NRC's rule raises an interesting
question:  what fraction of a hospital's total discharged activity is due
to excreta versus laboratory analytical activities?  My WAG is that it is
way more than 50%.  Anybody know if this has been studied?  Might be a good
graduate thesis topic.

Edward Johnson
Albuquerque