[ RadSafe ] High Level Waste to WIPP

Wed May 16 13:14:32 CDT 2012

WIPP could and should be the repository for ANYTHING you don' want to
see again.  As long as whatever doesn't explode in contact with salt, it
can be put in a chamber, and the salt will close in around it.  As for
the scenarios where the geology changes and that becomes a sea again: I
think there would be bigger concerns to deal with.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Jeff Terry
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:16 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] High Level Waste to WIPP

WIPP could and should be the High Level Waste Repository within the US,
IMO.

It is silly to build a second salt repository instead of just adding
panels to WIPP.

The people in the area are predominantly supportive of the WIPP.

The entire waste problem is silly. Reprocess and store whatever is left
over in WIPP.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Assoc. Professor of Physics
Life Science Bldg Rm 166
Illinois Institute of Technology
3101 S. Dearborn St.
Chicago IL 60616
630-252-9708
terryj at iit.edu

On May 16, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Dan McCarn wrote:

> Dear Christopher:
>
> Having been heavily involved over 4 years in the Performance
Assessment
> group for the WIPP, I personally see no reason that WIPP could not
manage
> high-level waste.  I was involved with the development of the GRASPINV
> inverse groundwater modeling code written to model / calibrate the
> transmissivities with measured heads for the the Culebra Dolomite -
the
> pathway to the accessible environment.
>
> --
> Dan ii