[ RadSafe ] Which welding rods are hot?

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Mon Nov 5 14:18:05 CST 2012

Regular welding rods used for stick arc are not radioactive.  Tungsten Inert Gas  (TIG, sometimes called Gas Tungsten Arc Welding GTAW) electrodes generally are, they have Thorium in them.  I use one routinely in a Cloud Chamber as the alpha source.  There is research in the literature on the Th-232 exposure (main source is from grinding the electrode points need to be refreshed routinely).

A Link:

http://www.jniosh.go.jp/en/indu_hel/pdf/ih_41_3_18.pdf

Dewey