[ RadSafe ] How many nuclear power plants in USA were convertedto coal/gas fired plants?

McCarty, Mike (DEQ) MCCARTYM1 at michigan.gov
Thu Oct 4 08:12:16 CDT 2012

Phil

Thanks for jumping in on this one.  I had been thinking about it yesterday but was too busy to reply.

Of course the gas fired turbines don't use any of the nuke build except maybe the cooling pond that was built next to the river.

Fuel was never loaded into the reactors.  After the site was protested to death before startup, some good did come of what was built.  One reactor head  was sold to Davis Besse to replace the perforated one that they had.  As I recall, coupons were cut from reactor vessel welds which went to your reactor lab for neutron flux embrittlement testing.

Mike

Michael J. McCarty
Physicist

517-327-2615
mccartym1 at michigan.gov

Office of Waste Management and Radiological Protection
Radiological Protection Section

Radiological Protection Laboratory
815 Filley Street
Lansing, Michigan 48906