[ RadSafe ] Breast Cancer

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 01:03:28 CDT 2012

Joe and Sergio,

    I would just like to say that this is a wonderful discussion and it
covers wide array of current issues.  There is no doubt in my mind that we are
currently at a very exciting point in time in the history of science.  Soon
enough science and medicine will be able to affordable sequence a persons entire
genome or a biopsy sample, and this will eventually allow physicians to custom
design very specific therapies for the individuals unique disease.  Currently
there are patients who are subjected to the standard rounds of chemotherapy
because their treating team of physicians don't know whether or not a particular
chemotherapy agent will or won't be effective against their disease.  Precious
time can be wasted trying to determine whether or not a chemotherapy agent is
effective.  In the future, physicians will know ahead of time which agents will
be effective and which agents shouldn't be used to treat a patients disease.

   Genetic sequencing is a powerful tool and as of yet we don't full understand
the function of much of the genome.  Sergio is correct when he wrote "Mapping of
all the properties of DNA is an enormous project, and even if you can perform a
complete individual mapping, and you could say that a specific women will get
breast cancer, you are faced with a difficult question: treat the tumor before
it has appeared? Make preventive mastectomy?"  Knowledge can be both a benefit
and a burden.  As hard as it is to fathom, for the women who has lost several
first degree family members from breast cancer a prophylactic Mastectomy may
well be a "reasonable" option.  However, it is only a reasonable option after
she has had genetic counseling and that she knows for certain that she also
carries the genes that put her at a higher risk of also developing the disease.
I suspect that for those of us looking at such a case from the outside this
seems as if it would be a near impossible decision, however for the woman who
has cared for her mother and or sisters who eventually died from breast
cancer it isn't as difficult a choice as one might imagine.

  I believe that someday in the not too distant future, most probable after many
of us have passed, the cure for many diseases will be provided genetically and
not by surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation therapy.

I think that the 60 minutes article that you were referencing may have been
"Hard cases: Investigating rare & tough diseases" at
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7409146n&tag=contentMain;contentBody

See "Sick Babies Could Have Genomes Sequenced in Days"
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429451/sick-babies-could-have-genomes-sequenced-in-days/

See "Quick DNA decoding can save infants' lives report" at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7424286n&tag=mncol;lst;5

See "Rapid gene-mapping test may diagnose disease in newborns" at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57526029/rapid-gene-mapping-test-may-diagnose-disease-in-newborns/?tag=mncol;lst;7

See "UNC Linberger Scientists lead cancer genome analysis of breast cancer" at:
http://news.unchealthcare.org/news/2012/september/unc-lineberger-scientists-lead-cancer-genome-analysis-of-breast-cancer

and the full article "Comprehensive molecular portraits of human breast
tumours" at:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v490/n7418/full/nature11412.html

See "Pinpointing genes that control breast cancer" at:
http://news.msu.edu/story/pinpointing-genes-that-control-breast-cancer-key/
Roy Herren