[ RadSafe ] Breast Cancer

Sergio Faermann sergio at bgu.ac.il
Sat Oct 6 04:04:56 CDT 2012

Dear Joe

I appreciate very much your almost routine comments on many subjects.It's like philosophical digressions!
Concerning your comments on breast cancer I must point out:
1-As a past (retired medical radiation physicist) I can tell you that we don't treat breast cancer with GammaKnife ( reserved only for radiosurgery).We do treat with linacs.
2-Breast cancer is a systemic disease and even if you perform the best combined treatment-Chemo +radiotherapy, you cannot assure 100% that metaatasis will not appear 20 years later.
3-Mapping of all the properties of DNA is an enormous project, and even if you can perform  a complete individual  mapping, and you could say that a specific women will get breast cancer, you are faced with a difficult question: treat the tumor before it has appeared? Make preventive mastectomy?

Best regards

Sergio Faermann ,Ph.D.
System Advanced Laboratories
Israel