[ RadSafe ] Natural Gas

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 22:42:51 CDT 2012

Hi,

      I don't pretend to know what Iran thinks or  does.  Any Iranians I
know are from my
undergraduate and/or graduate days in school --- and that was a long time
ago.

     They probably see that the hydrocarbons won't last  forever and see
the chance now to develop
alternate energy sources (i.e. nuclear, solar).  They also might be
interested in producing
medical isotopes????

     The possibility exists that they are looking to  enrich Uranium,
Plutonium and so on for defense
purposes.  Israel could probably knock out Iran's enrichment  capabilities
by bombing and/or
destroying their centrifuge facilities.  They don't have to destroy  Iran's
reactor at all.
Of course, if Iran's Centrifuge facilities are underground, then
bombing/destroying such a
facility might not be possible.  Then attacks on the reactor might  occur.
I really hope this will not
happen.  Let's hope all involved continue their diplomatic/IAEA etc.
efforts.  I can't really say that
Israel is truly paranoid in this matter.  They will and do continue to
look out for themselves.
Guess it is kind of like being in a tough neighborhood in the Bronx (NY
USA) --- you have to keep an
eye on what is going on.

     If Iran has one or a few nuclear devices, and  Israel has 10 to 20 or
100 (US Agencies probably have
some idea of what Israel's nuclear capability is). nuclear devices, then a
nuclear exchange would
result in one or two Israeli cities being gone, and most of  the major
cities in Iran being gone.
I have no idea what would happen in a conventional war.  Troop numbers  are
probably in Iran's
favor.  See the movie War Games etc.

     I guess Israel does or did its nuclear testing in  some desert within
its borders.  USGS Seismological
data over the last 50 or more years would probably indicate when real
earthquakes have happened
in Israel (a rarity???) and when such "earthquakes" were actually Israeli
nuclear tests.  One might
possibly know from the seismological wave signatures if an actual nuclear
test has occured.
See books on Nuclear (Seismological) Discrimination by Bruce Bolt or
similar people.  Nuclear tests
probably have very prominent P-Wave (seismological primary or compressional
 waves)
signatures, possibly without much Shear wave signatures.

     Israel and Iran probably both have missile  warhead-delivery systems
(i.e. rockets, missiles, ICBM's
and similar things).  Israel probably has a fairly modern  airforce.  Maybe
they even have cloned/built
stealthy jet fighters and/or bombers by now.  I know nothing about  Iran's
Air Force.

    I am a citizen of the USA, and am Catholic, not  something else.  I
have no current association with the
US Government, employment-wise.  Team USA (usually through contactor
agencies) have educated
me in science, computing and technology.  Thanks to the National  Academy
of Sciences and/or
the National Research Council (not the other NRC)....

    Have a good week, Roy!!!  Perhaps you should sleep  with one eye
open????

    Take Care...    Joe Preisig

In a message dated 10/7/2012 6:54:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,