[ RadSafe ] Spent reactor fuel

Mon Oct 8 11:54:59 CDT 2012

There certainly is energy in SNF that can be recovered; the question is
"can it be recovered economically?"  While the engineer in me wants the
answer to be "Yes!", I suspect it is not so, for several reasons.  NOTE:
these comments are aimed at the SNF from a BWR, but probably all apply
to PWR fuel, too.  I say nothing about other reactor schemes.

1.  Fuel assemblies are designed to be efficient at transferring heat to
water flowing past them.  This is almost certainly not the optimal shape
for using thermocouples to turn heat into electricity.
2.  There are hundreds of fuel assemblies in a spent fuel pool, and in
every refueling cycle more are added, and those in the pool already may
get moved around.  This would be made much more difficult if each
assembly had wires leading from thermocouples to some panel.  Also,
while I don't know a lot about making electricity with thermocouples, I
suspect that under water isn't the best place to do it.
3.  Anything that complicates moving spent fuel into the pool will
lengthen the time it takes to refuel the reactor, decreasing revenue,
and increasing dose to workers.  It is unlikely the value of energy
recovered would exceed the increased costs.

If I were working on a scheme to harvest waste heat from SNF, I would
focus on using the existing spent fuel pool cooling system to move
heated water to a heat exchanger, that then used any of several systems
to do something useful with it.  On the other hand, if I were working on
a scheme to improve the energy output of a nuclear power plant by
harvesting waste heat, I would look first at recovering energy from
coolant heading toward the cooling towers or other heat sink.  The most
efficient use would be to use the heat directly, such as in greenhouses
or heating or public and residential buildings, as is done in Siberia.
Next would be some cycle using some working fluid other than water.  And
fans of the Sterling Cycle usually chime in that this would be a good
place for their favorite system (and they are right).

As much as I agree that we deal with SNF in a suboptimal way, I suspect
that with current technology harvesting more energy once it is out of
the reactors isn't the worst one.